A radio telescope
1.A radio telescope 2.An atom 3.A microscope
3.A microscope 5.DNA 2.An atom 4.A microchip 1.A radio telescope
Physics Information technology Astronomy
biology physics astronomy information technology
Artificial intelligence Data processing Online Search engine
Black hole Deep space Galaxy Light year Solar system universe
Energy equation gravity mass radioactivity radium
Exercise 3 listening
The answers are:
1.news 2.interview 3.educational 4.quiz
Exercise 4 think about the answers these questions 1.have three students read out the questions
2.students work in pairs and discuss the answers
Lesson 1 Futurology
Before you start
Read to learn
Language points Summary
1.Look at the headlines below.What do You think they mean?
From the past to the future
The future business
Tomorrow’s world A perfect future?
2.Read the text and complete the table
What are the predictions?
When? Very soon In the next few years
What are the predictions? Use our voice to give instructions to computers Use life-sized video screens to communicate with our friends around the world Computers will be more handy and powerful We may live for at least 150 years A new species might have developed We will find other places for living
By the year 2020 By the year 2030
By the middle of the century
By the end of the century
3.Why is the writer interested in futurology?
1.look into向...的里面看, 窥视; 浏览; 观察, 调查 eg: The mayor promised to look into whether the clash was designed, or it just happened by accident. 市长答应调查 这次冲突是预先计划好的,还是偶然发生的。 He looked through a number of journals before he started the research project. 他在进行该项研究课题前查阅了许多期刊。
hundreds of好几百, 许许多多
3. millions of times数以百万倍的 4. both…and… 既...又...
5. link…to… （与on, to, in to连用）联合， （常与together, to, with连用）连接
6. communicate with通话, 通信;［英］ （房间等）互通 to communicate with a person 与人联络 eg:The Minister for Foreign Affairs has already communicated on this event with the American President. 外交部长已经跟美国总统就此事件交换过 意见了。 This room communicates with the other room. 这个房间与那一个房间相通。
7. in terms of adv. 根据, 按照, 用...的话, 在...方面; 以…的观点；就…而说
8. the amount of… …数目 an amount of相当数量的; 一些 a large amount of大量
9. carry out 完成, 实现, 贯彻, 执行 eg：I have carried out my work. 我已经完成了我的工作。 10. by the year 2020 到2020年之前 by the middle of the century 到本世纪中叶之前 by the end of the century 到本世纪末
11. suitable for/to adj.适合...的 eg: This toy is not suitable for young children. 这个玩具不适合小小孩玩。 books suitable for children 适合儿童阅读的书籍 This wine is not suitable to my taste.这酒不合我的胃口。
The important phrases
exercise 1 in page 66