1. Mr. Doherty and his family are currently engaged in getting the autumn harvest in on the farm.多尔蒂先生和他的家人目前 正在农场忙于秋收。
2. We must not underestimate the enemy. They are equipped with the most sophisticated weapons.我们不能低估敌人，他们装备了 最先进的武器。
3. Having been cut of a job/Not having had a job for 3months, Phil is getting increasingly desperate.菲尔已经三个月没有找到工 作了，正在变得越来越绝望。
4. Sam, as the project manager, is decisive, efficient, and accurate in his judgment.作为项目经理，山姆办事果断，工作效 率高，且判断准确。
5. Since the chemical plant was identified as the source of solution, the village neighborhood committee decided to close it down at the cost of 100 jobs. 既然已经证实这家化工厂是污 染源，村委会决定将其关闭，为此损失了一百个工作岗位。
The offensive had already lasted three days, but we had not gained much ground. The division commander instructed our battalion to get around to the rear of the enemy and launch a surprise attack. To do so, however, we had to cross a marshland
and many of us were afraid we might get bogged down in the mud. Our battalion commander decided to take a gamble. Luckly enough , thanks to the severe cold weather which made the marsh froze over, we arrived at our destination before dawn and began attacking the enemy from the rear. This turned the tide of the battle. The enemy, caught off guard, soon surrendered.
1. There was an unusual quietness in the air, except for the sound of artillery in the distance.空气有一种不寻常的寂静，只有 远处响着大炮的声音。
2. The expansion of urban areas in some African countries has been causing a significant fall in living standards and an increase in social problems.在某些非洲国家城市的扩展已经引 起生活水平相当大的下降和社会问题的增多。
3. The research shows that atmospheric carbon dioxide levels are closely correlated with global temperatures.研究表明大气中 的二氧化碳的含量与全球温度密切相关。
4. The frequency of the bus service has been improved from 15 to 12 minute recently.最近公共汽车的车辆行驶频率已有改善， 从 15 分钟缩短到 12 分钟一班。
5. The diver stood on the edge of the diving board, poised to
jump at the signal from the coach.那位跳水运动员立在跳水板 的边沿，只等教练发出信号便会立刻跳下。
Automobiles have, since their invention, revolutionized transportation, changing forever the way people live, travel, and do business. On the other hand, they have brought hazards, especially highway fatalities. However, today the application of computer technology and electronic sensors in designing and manufacturing cars makes it possible to eliminate most of traffic accidents. For example, electronic sensors mounted in your car can detect alcohol vapor in the air and refuse to start up the engine. They can also monitor road conditions by receiving radio signals sent out from orbiting satellites and greatly reduce your chances of getting stuck in traffic jams.
1. Despite the inadequate length of the airstrip in this emergency landing, the veteran pilot managed to stop the plane after taxiing for only a short while.尽管在此次紧急迫降中， 飞机跑道不够长，但经验老到的飞行员还是让飞机滑行了很短一段 时间后就停了下来。
2. Grilled by the reporters, the movie star eventually
blurted(out) that she had undergone two plastic surgeries. 在记者的反复追问下，该影星终于说漏了嘴，承认自己做过两次整 容手术。 3. We have the technology and our partner has the capital .Working together, we’ll have the future in our hands. 我们有技术，我们的合伙人有资金。一起干，我们就掌握了未来。 4. If I had known beforehand that you would bring so many friends home, I would have made better preparations. You see, I have barely enough food and drinks for a snack.要是我事先知道你 会带这么多朋友回家，我会好好准备的。你看，我现有的食品和饮 料连小吃一顿都不大够。 5. People gave generously upon learning that new school rooms with stronger structures were to be built in the earthquake-stricken area.当人们得知地震灾区将要建造结构更 牢固的新校舍时，纷纷慷慨解囊。
P82 Well begun, half done ,as the saying goes. It is
extremely important for a job applicant to do his homework while seeking employment .From my standpoint, whether or not one has done his homework clearly makes a difference in his chance of success.
I have a friend who is earning somewhere in the
neighborhood of 100,000 dollars a years in a large computer software company. He told me that from his own experience the decision makers who interview prospective employees like people who are well prepared. Those who make no endeavor to learn as much about his prospective employer as possible don’t have much of a chance of success.
1. Due to his pessimistic outlook on the European economy, John has moved his assets from Europe to elsewhere.
2. I like hiring young people. They are earnest learners and committed to work.我喜欢雇佣年轻人。他们愿意学习，而且忠于职 守。
3. Unlike her girl friends who center their lives on their children, Mary cares more about her personal growth.玛丽 和她那些以自己孩子为中心的女友们不同，更在意个人成长。
4. Why is it that a considerable number of colleagues are at odds with you?有一大批同事和你意见不和，这是怎么回事？
5. The Chinese government has introduced a variety of policies to strengthen cooperation with developing countries.中国 政府出台了一系列政策以加强发展中国家的合作。
Globalization has great implications for young Chinese. For example, young farmers are moving on a large scale to urban areas to look for jobs. And for those young people who aspire to study abroad or work in foreign-invested enterprises, English has become increasingly important. At the same time, a considerable number of overseas Chinese students have returned home in recent years, for they hold an optimistic outlook for the long-term growth of the Chinese economy. The internet has strengthened the links between Chinese young people and those elsewhere. They follow the latest trend and
copy foreign fashions. Some of them don’t seem to care for traditional Chinese virtues, let alone carry them forward, which has given rise to worries that the traditional Chinese culture might one day vanish.
1. I have an instinct that Henry will seek to join the expedition, because he is something of an adventurer.我的 直觉是亨利会设法参加这次探险，因为他有一点冒险家的气质。
2. He is capable of sticking to the task at hand, even if he is exposed to noises.即使置身于一个嘈杂的环境中，他也能坚 持做手头的工作。
3. The trademark was registered in accordance with the laws hitherto in force.这个商标是一句迄今有效地法律注册的。
4. Oddly enough, many people volunteered to help organize the meeting, but only a few turned up.奇怪的是，许多人自愿帮 助组织会议，但是只有少数几人到场。
5. The teacher’s affectionate words, along with his candid comments, changed the way Mike perceived the society and himself.老师那充满关爱的话语，以及坦诚地评价改变了迈克对 于社会和他自己的看法。
P157 For my own part, I find that appearances are all too often
deceptive. For instance, you might be wrong if you judged by appearances only people like Edward Hyde Burton. In appearance, he seemed a man all of a piece. He was a tiny little fellow with white hair and mild blue eyes, gentle and candid. Nevertheless, he turned out to be very cruel. He insulted and fooled Lenny who was down and out and made him commit himself to an insane venture. What was still more surprising was that he was completely indifferent to Lenny’s death. Without doubt, Burton was a man with a heart of stone.
1. They are exploring the new frontiers of medical science in an attempt to find remedies for incurable diseases/ cures for diseases that are beyond remedy so far.他们正在探索医 学研究的新领域，试图治疗那些目前还无药可治的疾病。
2. Her unique teaching methods apart, Ms Wilson, my math teacher, never tried to cram knowledge into my head.我的数学老师威 尔逊女士不仅教学方法独特，而且她从不试图往我脑子里硬塞知 识。
3. The regular weather forecast by the Central TV Station keeps us up with the changes of weather wherever we go on a trip. 中央电视台的定时天气预报使得我们旅行时不管走到哪儿都能知 道天气的变化。
4. The appalling explosion started a big fire and caused the partial collapse of the building.可怕的爆炸引起了一场大火， 并造成这幢大楼部分倒塌。
5. In the modern world, there are more ways than ever to waste away time, and all kinds of distractions are eating into our precious time.在现代社会里，浪费时间的方式比以往任何时候 都要多，各种各样的娱乐消遣正在吞噬我们宝贵的时间。
Today we are under constant pressure to work longer hours, to produce more, and to possess more. Lots of people hold the wrong perception that happiness lies in working hard and earning well/ good money.
Many women today feel the same stress to work and get ahead and, at the same time, to nurture their offspring and shoulder the burden of domestic responsibilities.
Research shows that workaholism tends to distance us from our immediate families. It forces us to toil longer and longer hours, leaving a minute fraction of our time to be physically and emotionally available to our loved ones. Intimacy among family members is doomed to die in the process.
1. Some high-ranking officers of the armed forces started a coup, toppling the government and throwing the country into chaos.武装部队的一些高级军官发动了一场政变，推翻了政府， 从而使该国陷入一片混乱。
2. The falling market shattered the illusion about getting rich quickly 下滑的市场粉碎了她快速致富的幻想。
3. Thinking back on the history of World War II, we can see that the formation of the Allies was the natural product of the development of political and military circumstances then. 回顾二次世界大战的历史，我们可以看到同盟国的形成是当时的 政治，军事形势发展的自然结果
4. Paul felt stung when Jim called him a religious fanatic. But as he was in no mood for quarrel/not in a quarreling mood, he simply pretended not to hear it.吉姆称保罗是宗教狂热分 子，刺痛了保罗，但是保罗无心吵架，他干脆假装没听见。
5. People say that time heals all wounds. But for those who have lost their loved ones in the event, will time fill up the void in their hearts? 人们说时间会治愈一切创伤。但对在这 一事件中失去亲人的人们而言，时间能填补他们心中的空白吗？
Today, long after the earthquake shook // hit my tome-town,
I can still recall, in crystal detail, what I saw as I ran out of my home with my parents. The building just across the street toppled right before our eyes, debris flew everywhere and a cloud of choking dust blotted out the sun. Horror-stricken people ran in all directions, crying and screaming.
Now, many years after that tragic event, a new town has risen on the wreckage of the old one. In the town square, a memorial has been build to remember those killed in the disaster. It seems the wounds in people’s hearts have healed, but the memory will linger.
1. Janet was just the kind of girl Mike knew he could trust, so he bared his heart to her on their first date.杰妮特正是麦 克知道他可以信任的那种女孩，所以他在第一次约会时就像她敞开 心扉。
2. At first the girls played on the fringe of the dark forest, now laughing, now screaming, but before long they were out of sight.起先姑娘们在幽暗的森林边缘玩耍，一会儿大笑，一会儿尖 叫，可不一会儿她就无影无踪了。
3. The moment the football players disembarked from the plane, they saw a fleet of cars waiting for their arrival.足球队
员一下飞机，就见到一个车队在等待他们的到来。 4. Carson condemned his opponent for using misleading
information to smear his character.卡森谴责他的对手用误导 的信息来玷污他的人品。
5. Alex gave the policeman a wallet stuffed with banknotes. He
said he had found it on the curb when he hopped off his school bus.亚历克斯将一个塞满钞票的钱包交给了警察。他说他是在跳 下校车时在马路边上捡到的。
Last Wednesday, my classmate Caroline and I visited Zhouzhuang, a well-known town looped all around by streams. When we arrived at the town, Caroline was so excited that she darted towards the first bridge she saw and began singing loudly there. Suddenly her voice hushed when she found that she had startled a flock of ducks not too far from us. Now as Caroline was dying for a boat ride, we decided to tour the town by boat. Now loud, now soft, Caroline talked to all the creatures in the stream and was fussing about everything while I looked at the boats guiding over the water in silence. Though we did not see anything spectacular, we enjoyed every minute in the town that lies out of the range of the heavy traffic and noise of the large city.
Zhouzhuang is worth visiting and, time permitting, I’d like to go there again.