Module 4 Sandstorms in Asia
Introduction & Reading and Vocabulary (Ⅰ)
1. Learn some new words and phrases. 2. Learn to get useful information from the passage.
Leading - in
How beautiful it is!
What are they doing?
Cut down trees
Dig up grass
What happened one day? Desertification
Word Challenge 1. They are starting a _c_a_m_p_a_i_g_n_ (运动) against smoking. 2. Do you know the chemical _p_r_o_ce_s_s__ (过程) involved in the change? 3. The weatherman has _fo_r_e_c_a_s_t (预报) that it will be fine tomorrow. 4. We are trying our best to fight against all kinds of p_o_l_lu__ti_o_n_(污染).
5. She tried hard to provide a proper e_n_v_i_r_o_n_m__e_n_t _ (环境) for her child. 6. The meeting went on in a good _a_tm__o_s_p_h_e_r_e (气氛). 7. We have enough _ev_i_d_e_n_c_e(证据) to give him. 8. Your mother is really _c_o_n_c_e_r_n_ed_ (关心) about you. 9. She took a knife along with her for her own _p_r_o_t_e_c_ti_o_n_(保护). 10. He _c_o_m__p_la_i_n_e_d_ (抱怨) that the office was not businesslike.
Look at the photos. Answer the questions.
1.What is happening? 2.What are the cyclists wearing and why? 3.What do you think happens to traffic in this situation? And why ? 4.What do you think experts advise people to do in this situation?
Answers: 1.There is a sandstorm blowing. 2.They’re wearing hoods, masks and
glasses to protect themselves. 3.It moves very slowly. Because it is not
clear to see everything on the road and people must take great care. 4. Stay at home.
Sandstorms in Asia
Read the passage quickly and match the main idea of each paragraph.
? Para.1 ? Para.2 ? Para.3 ? Para.4 ? Para.5 ? Para.6
a. the description of sandstorms b. the causes of sandstorms c. a major disaster in Asia d. the effects of sandstorms e. the government’s measures f. the forecast and suggestions
Read the first three paragraphs, and then answer the questions. 1. What is a sandstorm?
Sandstorms are strong, dry winds that carry sand.
2. What are the four main places where there are sandstorms?
Central Asia, North America, Central Africa, Australia.
A Central Asia
3. Which place of China is part of the sandstorm centre?
Xinjiang Inner Mongolia Gansu
4. Where is Ren Jianbo from? Inner Mongolia.
5. What does he think of the sandstorm he has experienced? Terrible, frightening, dangerous.
6. How about sandstorms in China in recent years? Sandstorms in China appear to have increased in recent years as a result of “desertification”.
沙漠化 7. What caused the desertification?
Climate changes, people’s cutting down trees and digging up grass.
Reading (Paras.4～6) Beijing
I. Choose the correct answers.
1. Which of the following statements is RIGHT? A. The dust is usually orange in the sandstorms. B. The strong wind makes traffic move quickly. C. A sandstorm can be forecast early. D. People needn’t wear a mask at all.
2. From the last paragraph, we know ____ A. the government is taking measures to prevent
sandstorms. B. the distance between the desert and the center of
Beijing is only 250 kilometres. C. 30 million trees have been planted in Beijing . D. the government won’t plant any trees in the
II. Complete the sentences according to the passage.
1. In the sandstorms traffic moves very slowly because _t_h_e_t_h_i_c_k_d_u_s_t_m__a_k_e_s_i_t_d_i_ff_i_c_u_lt_t_o__se_e___. 2. The government is planting trees in the west of Beijing to _p_r_e_v_e_n_t _th__e_d_e_s_e_rt__c_o_m_i_n_g_n_e_a_r_e_r_____.
Ⅲ. Can you guess the meaning of the underlined
1. It’s difficult to breathe and the dust makes me
2. Which sentence in Para. 5 can be replaced by the following one?
People should not leave home during the sandstorm, which is weather experts’ advice.
When a sandstorm arrives in the city, weather experts advise people not to go out.
Fill in the blanks. Sandstorms have been a major _d_is_a_s_t_er_ for many Asian countries and scientists have tried many ways to _s_o_lv_e_ this problem. Sandstorms are strong, dry winds that _c_a_r_ry_ sand. They often happen in four main places in the world. And as a r_e_s_u_l_t of “desertification”, sandstorms in Chinaa_p_p_e_a_r_ to have i_n_c_r_e_a_s_ed_ in recent years. Sandstorms sometimes _a_ff_e_c_t Beijing and make
_tr_a_f_fi_c_ move very slowly. To reduce sandstorms and to _p_r_e_v_en__t the desert _c_o_m_i_n_g_ nearer, the Beijing government is planting more and more trees.
How to describe a sandstorm?
as_t_ro_n__g, _d_r_y_ wind an _o_r_a_n_g_e sky
with much _s_a_n_d__
Choose your title and make up a dialogue or a story.
C The Last Green
We must love and protect our home —the earth,
to make it less hurt by natural disasters and make it a better place for living.
Recite the words in this text and then retell the passage after class.
Let’s cross the bridge when we come to it. 船到桥头自然直。
? 老师上课都有一定的思路，抓住老师的思路就能取得良好的学习效果。在上一小节中已经提及听课中要跟随老师的思路，这里再进一步论述听课时如何 抓住老师的思路。
? ① 根据课堂提问抓住老师的思路。老师在讲课过程中往往会提出一些问题，有的要求回答，有的则是自问自答。一般来说，老师在课堂上提出的问 题都是学习中的关键，若能抓住老师提出的问题深入思考，就可以抓住老师的思路。
? ② 根据自己预习时理解过的逻辑结构抓住老师的思路。老师讲课在多数情况下是根据教材本身的知识结构展开的，若把自己预习时所理解过的知识 逻辑结构与老师的讲解过程进行比较，便可以抓住老师的思路。
? ③ 根据老师的提示抓住老师的思路。老师在教学中经常有一些提示用语，如“请注意”、“我再重复一遍”、“这个问题的关键是····”等等，这些 用语往往体现了老师的思路。来自：学习方法网
? ④ 紧跟老师的推导过程抓住老师的思路。老师在课堂上讲解某一结论时，一般有一个推导过程，如数学问题的来龙去脉、物理概念的抽象归纳、语 文课的分析等。感悟和理解推导过程是一个投入思维、感悟方法的过程，这有助于理解记忆结论，也有助于提高分析问题和运用知识的能力。
? ⑤ 搁置问题抓住老师的思路。碰到自己还没有完全理解老师所讲内容的时候，最好是做个记号，姑且先把这个问题放在一边，继续听老师讲后面的 内容，以免顾此失彼。来自：学习方法网
? ⑥ 利用笔记抓住老师的思路。记笔记不仅有利于理解和记忆，而且有利于抓住老师的思路。