If there were no colour in the world, …
Look at the pictures below and answer the question.
Why have these colours been used for the above purposes? It is easy to
Green means “go ahead”. see at night.
Red means “emergency”.
Read the first sentence of each paragraph in the article. Then decide which paragraphs deal with the topics below.
Paragraph 4 Paragraph 3 Paragraph 6 Paragraph 1 & 2 Paragraph 5
Scan the article and then answer these questions.
1. Who is Max Lǔscher? A Swiss psychologist. 2. Which two colours remind people of peace and quiet? Blue and green.
3. What are the main “appetite” colours? Red, green, orange and yellow.
4. What colour is often used by many environmental groups? Green. 5. What does the colour of the UN flag symbolize? Peace.
Read to see whether these statements are true or false.
1. Max Lǔscher has spent a long time studying colour. T Max Lǔscher has spent most of his life studying colour. Line 3 2 . Many colours do not affect us. F Each colour affects us in a different way. Line 10
3. People’s heartbeats get faster when they see the colours blue or green. F People’s pulse rates decrease and they feel more relaxed when they see safe and familiar colours such as blue or green. Line 12 4. Yellow is often used by food manufacturers to persuade people to buy food. T This is the main “appetite” colours that help persuade to buy more food.
Answer the questions below using the information in the article.
1. Why are some colours called 'appetite' colours? Those colours that help persuade to buy more food. 2. What do fast-food companies want people to do? They want people to eat quickly and then leave in order to make space for more customers.
3. What colours are considered serious, and who uses them?
Blue, brown and green are considered serious. These colour are used by banks. 4. What is the most important colour in most flags? Why? Red---the colour of action---is the most important colour in flags, because over 80% of countries have it in their national flags. 5. Why is colour a powerful tool? It can be used to help us, to warn us, relax us, to control us and to make us buy things.
Read Para. 2 and fill in the table below.
Colour Personality energetic and adventurous, looking for excitement calm and in control, preferring a peaceful life firmness, a dislike of change and a fear of failure
open and free, ambitious and optimistic
Read Para 3-6 and fill in the table below.
used by food companies to persuade people to buy more food used in banks to persuade people to think of the bank as a safe and reliable place. used by travel agencies to make people think of sunshine and holidays.
red, green, “appetite” orange colours and yellow blue, brown and green serious, restful colours colour of sunshine and holidays
Meaning the colour of action
Use used in the national flags of over 80% of countries
the colour of peace the colour of nature
used in the UN flag used by many environmental groups
Read what four people say about themselves. And discuss the colour you think each of them might like. I like things to stay the same. I don’t like being disappointed. At the same time, I keep going even when things Mark are difficult.
green I like having a quiet life. I need to plan things before I do them. I like being careful. blue
I don’t like things to be boring. I like new experiences and ideas. I enjoy taking risks.
I’m a very happy person. The future always seems bright to me. I’m honest. I like to do what I want. I work hard to follow my dreams. yellow
Guess the other meanings of these words from the context of a sentence:
1.He is a green hand in the
business field, so he often asks the experienced for advice.
2. Eric was a black sheep,
the whole plan failed because of his laziness.
3. After a few days’ rest, Mary is in the pink today.
4.We felt it is a pity to tell him the cruel news, so we told him a white lie to
5. What happened to you? You are in blue today.
Colour is a powerful tool. It can be used to help us, to warn us, to relax us, to control us and to make us buy things. What is your opinion?
Work in groups to design a class flag using different colours. Explain why the different colours are used and what they symbolize.