Unit 5 Nelson Mandela----a modern hero
The rest of Elias’ story
you imagine the life of Mandela and Elias in prison. Find some words to describe it.
Scan the text in two minutes and answer the following two questions:
(1)What did Elias do when he was in prison? He studied and was taught by Nelson Mandela when he was in prison. (2) Finally ,what did Elias take as his job? Did he enjoy it? His job is taking the tourists round his old prison, at first he didn't enjoy his job but later he was proud to do this.
Read the passage for a second time and choose the best answer to complete each sentence.
1. Elias was unhappy in the prison D because _________. A. he was kept with the criminals B. the prison guards studied with him C. he has to study D. he could not study for a degree
? ? ? ?
2. Nelson Mandela showed how good a D leader he was because ________. A. he fought the guards in prison B. he refused to let the guards study in his school C. he let the guards study in his school but not take the exams D. he let the guards study even though the prisoners could not take the exams
? ? ?
3. Life for Elias was not too bad in prison B because _________ A. he had to study B. he could study with the guards C. he wanted to study D. he could study and get a degree
4. As leader of South Africa, Nelson Mandela helped prisoners of Robben Island by ________
? ? ? ?
A them an education A. giving
B. giving them money C. putting the guards in prison D. giving them a job
Answer key for exercise 1: Good things Mandela started a school in the prison. Elias became a good student. He realized he was clever enough to do a degree. Bad things He was beaten. The guards were cruel. Some people died in prison. Elias was not allowed to take a degree in prison.
? ? ? ? ?
1. You cannot imagine how the sound of the name of Robben Island made us afraid. 你想象不到听到罗本岛这个名字令我们 多么害怕。 imagine n./doing sth./sb.+doing/that… Can you imagine life without electricity? I din’t imagine becoming a writer in my childhood. I can’t imagine her marrying him. Imagine that you are a bird.
2. He taught us during the lunch breaks and the evening when we should have been asleep. 在午餐的休息时间和晚上我们本应该睡觉 的时候他教授我们。 ? should do & should have done ? He should have come earlier. ? You should come earlier tomorrow. ? You should have written to your mother. ? My teacher said I should study harder. ? I should have studied harder when I was young.
should do 表示应该做，一般指现在或将来 的动作，指过去的动作时应站在过去的角 度。 ? should have done 表示本应该做而没有做的。 站在现在的角度上评说过去的事情。
asleep, sleep & sleepy
--Is he still sleeping? ? --Yes, he is fast asleep. ? I was too sleepy to hear the end of her talk. ? I usually sleep seven hours a day. ? asleep 是表语形容词，意为“睡着 的”。 ? sleep 是动词或名词，意为“睡觉”。 ? sleepy 是形容词，意为“打盹的”。
3. They were not cleverer than me, but they did pass their exams. ? 他们不如我聪明，但确实通过了考试 did pass 为强调结构，强调谓语动词时， 在动词原行前加do, does, did. ? Do be careful! ? I do hope you have a merry Christmas! ? He does speak English well!
4. I did not work again for twenty years until Mr Mandela and the ANC came to power in 1994. ? come to power = come into power 执政 ? in power 当权，执政 ? Things have changed a lot since he came to power. ? How long has he been in power?
? ? ? ? ? ?
5. All the terror and fear of that time came back to me. terror n. 恐怖，可怕的人或事 The murder was a terror to the people in the town. fear n. 恐惧，可怕 vt. 恐惧，害怕 + n./to do /that… Do you fear death? She fears to speak in our presence. I fear that we can’t protect ourselves. ? for fear of …& for fear that… 担心 He left an hour earlier for fear of missing the train. She worried for fear that the child would be hurt.
6. I remembered the beatings and the cruelty of the guards and my friends who had died. ? beating n. 打、输 ? They gave him a good beating. ? They gave our team quite a beating. ? beat n. 敲击，跳动 ? We heard the beat of a drum. ? Can you hear the beat of my heart?
7. They said that the job and the pay from the new South African government were my reward after working all my life for equal rights for the Blacks. ? reward n. 报酬，奖金 ? He worked hard but without much reward. ? in reward 作为报酬 ? She got nothing in reward for her kindness. ? vt. 酬谢，给以报答 ? He rewarded me with a prize.
Do you know anything about Bill Gates?
Bill Gates, father of microsoft, what kind of man he is in your heart?
I think he is a great man because… ? I think he is not a great man because…
INFORMATION ABOUT BILL GATES
Job Achievements What did he give up for his beliefs? Generosity Chief executive officer Set up “Microsoft”
Left Harvard University
Gave money to help education and health
Other people are jealous Why does he have of his success enemies? Why attacked by the They think he is too big and too powerful, unfair government?
The representatives from each group should present the discussion of their group.
Gate is a successful and rich man, but is he a great man? Has he given up anything (not money) in his life to help other people and made things fairer in the world?
?Finish off the exerices in the Ss’books. ?Revise the phrases learnt in this unit.
办公家具厂 http://www.kuo9.com 办公家具厂
情沉重的赶路人。那一日天气阴沉沉的，还刮着很大的西北风，武昌镇的街道上很是冷清。当无力地靠坐在骡车一侧的耿老爹 看到了眼前那些尚熟悉的街面时，又勾起了他不少对于往昔的回忆。骡车一直不紧不慢地走着，不一会儿就来到了父子们当年 摆蔬菜水果地摊儿的地方，耿老爹的眼泪忍不住汹涌而出，他声音沙哑地对李尚武说：“武儿，停一下??”“吁—”棕色大 骡稳稳地停了下来。尚武心里明白，义父曾经多次给他讲述过的在武昌镇上摆蔬菜水果地摊儿的地方就是这里了。再仔细观看， 义父说过的那块儿他们当年放午饭用的方方正正的大石头还在那里呢！看到耿老爹流着眼泪想要下车，尚武赶快阻止说：“义 父，您看看就行了，不要下车了好吗？咱们继续往前走吧，我饿得很了，咱们找个饭店随便吃点儿什么吧！”看着尚武恳切的 目光，耿老爹重重地长叹一声，无奈地说：“唉，你说得对，下车又能咋得啊！咱们继续走哇，我记得前面左拐有一个干热面 馆呢，咱吃饭去。”骡车来到了干热面馆前，尚武招呼棕色大骡停下，自己先跳下车来。正要转过车那边去搀扶义父下车，但 发现耿老爹已经自己下车了，就把棕色大骡拴在面馆前的拴马桩上，向饭店里的一个伙计要来半盆儿凉温的清水饮它一些，再 给它喂上一些草料。父子俩一起走进面馆，简单要了一个热炒莲藕菜，各吃了一碗干热面，又喝一些面汤。然后结算饭钱，谢 过伙计继续前行。话说那个适才给父子俩端饭上菜的年青伙计，他家原本就住在白百大他们家旁边的另一条胡同里。耿老爹父 子四人当年在武昌镇上做蔬菜水果生意时，他还是一个顽皮的小伢子。由于耿家父子们当年做这个生意的时候，每天都会在附 近走上几趟的，所以这个顽皮的小伢子经常会看见他们。因此间，这伙计今儿个看这耿老爹怎么看怎么有些个面熟，可一时又 想不起来在哪里见过。直到耿老爹和尚武已经坐骡车走远了，这个伙计还在面馆里一边干活儿一边努力地回忆着：这个熟悉的 面孔到底在哪里见过啊？好兄弟白百大的家越来越近了，远远望去，院门儿好像是新修过的。耿老爹吩咐尚武，让棕色大骡放 慢脚步慢慢儿地向前走去。一会儿，从旁边的胡同里蹦蹦跳跳出来一个十来岁的女娃儿，耿老爹赶快招手叫住了她，尚武随即 招呼棕色大骡停下来。耿老爹指着白百大家的院门儿问这个女娃儿：“小丫头，那个院子住着的是谁家啊？”女娃儿说：“是 白婆婆家啊！”耿老爹又问：“是哪个白婆婆啊？她家里还有什么人？”女娃儿回答：“还能是哪个白婆婆啊，我们这附近就 她一家姓白的。听我姆妈说，她守寡已经有些年头了。家里只有一个女儿，叫小青。如今有上门女婿东伢子和孙娃儿小东伢一 起过呢！”耿老爹怔一怔，说：“哦，谢谢啦，你玩儿去吧！”女娃