Reading and Vocabulary
Please look at these pictures.
How beautiful they are !
But one day something happened .
What natural disaster it is ?
It is a sandstorm . It is very frightening .
bury The sand almost buries the house .
Inner Mongolia has many sandstorms
every year . It is far away from the sea , so it is
an inland region .
Look at the picture below .Complete the sentences using the correct form of these words .
bury frightening sandstorm
There had been a sandstorm . It had lasted for ten hours and was very frightening . The wind was blowing the sand high around the houses , and some cars were almost completely buried by the sand .
The day before yesterday
Look at these pictures .Now work in pairs . Discuss the following statements and decide which statement is false .
1. Sandstorms begin in desert areas . 2. Deserts are created by climate changes .
( \/ ) ( \/ )
3. Deserts are also created because people cut down trees and dig up grass . 4. Sandstorms from Asia have blown across the Pacific Ocean to American .
5. Sandstorms can’t be prevented . 6. The inland region has more sandstorms than the one near the sea .
( \/ ) ( \/ ) (×)
( \/ )
Work in groups of 4-6 . Discuss these questions . The team leaders from each group report their answers to the class .
1. What should you do in a sandstorm to protect yourself ?
2. Which do you think is more dangerous , an earthquake or a sandstorm ? Say why . 3. Where in China do sandstorms begin ? 4. If you are in a desert , what is the first sign of a
sandstorm ? 5. Have you ever been in a sandstorm ? If yes , describe it to your partner .
Reading and vocabulary
Look up these words in a dictionary . Then match the words with their definition .
forecast 1. to ride a bicycle
2. someone who knows a lot about a particular subject expert 3. things that happen one after another , and have a result process 4. someone who lives in a particular town or country citizen 5. very small bits of dirt or earth , on the ground or in the air dust 6. to continue to live after a difficult or dangerous survive situation or event forcast 7. to say what will probably happen 8. everything that is happening at a particular time situation
fast reading :
Look at the photos . Read the text quickly and answer the questions .
1. What is happening ?
2. What is the cyclists wearing
and why ?
3. What do you think happen to traffic in this situation ? Why ? 4. What do you think experts advise people to do in this situation ?
Read again and try to find the answer to the question .
How many parts can this article be divided into ?
Part I (para 1) : major disaster in Asia- standstorm Part II (para2-5) : discription cause influence suggestion Part Ⅲ (para6): measures
Careful reading :
Fill in the chart
description cause influence suggestion measures
“A Press Conference about Sandstorms”
Suppose you are having a press conference about sandstorms . Some are news spokesmen , some are experts , and some are journalists . Now work in groups of 8 . You can refer to the following materials .
Cause of Sandstorms
※ ※ ※ ※ ※ Topographical factor Atmospheric factors Excessive cultivation of farmland: Deforestation Over-grazing:
Ineffective protection of constructive sites:
Measures and Suggestions
◎ certain administrative methods be taken to turn desertification preventions into the record to evaluate the work of local government officials.
◎ the issue of desertification prevention should be included in the national economic and social development program for the 21st century, and it should be on the list of key national projects and items
◎ the prevention plans must be drawn up scientifically, and the management must be strict.
◎ importance should be attached to experts' participation in the project, and the building of a new type of structure which combines production, scientific research and promotion under the new circumstances.
◎ we must do a good job of monitoring and forecasting desertification. We must also establish an information network for national desertification and sandstorm prevention, with forecasting work focused on controlling desertification at the beginning stage.
Think about :
As a senior high student , what should we do to improve our environment ?