Ask your classmates in your group what they were doing at 7:00 last night then give a report. Report: … was reading. … was shopping…
The storm brought people closer together
What is the passage (文章）about？ ? A. What is the storm? ? B. How is the storm forming(形成）? ? C. What happened before ,during and after the storm? ? D. What do people think of the storm?
1.How many paragraphs(段落）?
2.Please match them.
Para 1 Para2 Para 3 Para4
Before the storm During the storm
After the storm
3.Find the topic sentence（主题 句）in the last paragraph.
The Storm Brought People Closer Together
Ben could hear strong winds outside his room in Alabama. Black clouds were making the sky very dark. With no light outside, it felt like midnight. The news on TV reported that a heavy rainstorm was in the area.
1. What was the weather like before the heavy rain started? Strong winds were outside. Black clouds were making the sky very dark. With no light outside, it felt like midnight. 2.How could Ben’s family know the storm would come? The news on TV reported that a heavy rainstorm was in the area.
Everyone in the neighborhood was busy. Ben’s dad was putting pieces of wood over the windows while his mom was making sure the flashlights and radio were working. She also put some candles and matches on the table. Ben was helping his mom make dinner when the rain began to beat heavily against the windows. After dinner, they tried to play a card game, but it was hard to have fun with a serious storm happening outside.
Everyone in the neighborhood was busy. busy
Ben was helping his mom make dinner when the rain began to beat heavily against the windows. After dinner, they tried to play a card game, but it was hard to have fun with a serious storm happening outside.
Do True or False
1.It rained hard outside.
2.Ben’s family had fun playing a card game.
1.When did Ben fall asleep?
Ben could not sleep at first. He finally fell asleep when the wind was dying down at around 3:00 a.m. When he woke up, the sun was rising. He went outside with his family and found the neighborhood in a mess. Fallen trees, broken windows and rubbish were everywhere. They joined the neighbors to help clean up the neighborhood together. Although the storm broke many things apart, it brought families and neighbors closer together.
He finally fell asleep when the wind was dying down at around 3:00 a.m. die down 逐渐消失
2. What was the neighborhood like after the storm?
3b Complete the sentences using information from the passage.
1. When the news on TV was reported, strong winds ____________ were blowing outside. 2. While Ben’s mom was making sure the radio was working, his dad __________________________________ was putting pieces of wood over the __________________________________. windows
3. Ben ______________________________ was helping his mom make dinner when the heavy rain finally started. 4. When Ben ___________ fell asleep at 3:00 a.m., the wind ______________. was dying down
Fill in the blanks.
1. With no light outside, it felt like midnight.
此句中介词with表示一种伴随状况，同 时还包含着某种因果关系，表示“因某 种状况的存在而导致……”, 因此可翻译 成“由于；因为”等。`````````````
e.g. With my parents away, I’m the king of the house. 我爸妈不在家，我可是家中的“王”了！ I can’t work with all that noise going on. 由于那噪音响着，我无法工作。
2. Ben’s dad… while his mom was making sure the flashlights and radio were working. 1) 此句中的连词while的意思是 “当…… 的时候；和……同时”，while还可以 表示“而；然而；但”之意，用来说明 和强调两种事情或情形不同。
e.g. Tom is active and outgoing while his sister Rosa is shy and quiet. 汤姆活跃外向，而他的妹妹罗莎却 害羞腼腆。
2) make sure“确认，查明，核实；确保； 设法保证”，其后可接句子，或接介词 of及宾语，用来引入需要确认的内容。 e.g. Could you make sure what time he’s arriving? 你能确认一下他几点到达吗？ Make sure you turn off the TV before you leave the house. 在你离开屋子前确认关闭了电视。
3. …, but it was hard to have fun with a serious storm happening outside.
你能否想出此句中包含的句型？ It is adj.+ to do sth. 做……怎么样。 It is adj. for sb. to do sth. 对某人来说做……怎么样。 e.g. It is important for us to learn English. 对我们来说学英语很重要。
1. 在街上踢球很危险。 It is _______________ dangerous to play soccer on the street. 2. 每天早上读书对你来说很有必要。 It is necessary ________ for you _______ to read in the morning. 3. 对他来说完成作业很容易 It is ____ easy for him __________________. to finish homework
die down逐渐变弱，逐渐平息 e.g. When you saw him, his anger had died down a bit. 你看见他的时候， 他的火气已经下去了。
5. When he woke up, the sun was rising.
rise是不及物动词，意为：（价格、水 位等）上涨；（月亮、太阳等）上升。 e.g. It is too hot. The temperature rises by 6℃ today. 太热了。今天的气温一下子上升了6 摄氏度。
3c Discuss the questions with a partner. “Although the storm broke many things apart, it brought families and neighbors closer together.” What other things can bring people closer together? How can we help each other in times of difficulty?
How can we help each other in times of difficulty?
? Cheer people up by saying some kind words to encourage them. ? Give away clothes ,food and other things to those who need help. ? Send doctors to save the people in danger.
What can we learn from the passage?
? 1.We should protect our environment. ? 2.When a natural disaster happens,we should work together to help each other and overcome the difficulties. ? 3.We should remember “each coin has two sides”. Natural disaster can cause a lots of damage to our environment, but they can be good for us if people work hard together.
? Read the text and remember the language points. ? Preview next lesson.