Unit 3 Life in the future, B5
Reading --- First Impressions
1. What problems human beings are facing today? Make a list. Acid rain Housing Growing areas of desert
Pollution Global warming (greenhouse effect) Traffic Overlarge world population Lack of enough drinking water Literacy ['lit?r?si] n. 读写能力, 精通文学
Hunger … 2. What problems do you think people in the future will have overcome? 3. Which ones will still be there or even worse in AD 3005? 2
? How to deal with the issues?
As far as you know, what’s the difference between a space travel and a time travel? A space travel is a travel where you visit some other planets, the Mars, for example. A time travel is a travel where you stay where you are but go to the future or the past.
3. Talking about the pictures Picture 1 What can you see in the picture? What are the people doing?
Where do you think they are going?
How many people can you see in the picture?
Who are they, do you know? What else can you see in the picture? What can you use them for?
What can you see in the picture?
Where is Li Qiang? What is Li Qiang doing? What is the table and chairs made of? What is the wall made of? What function does it have?
1. Listen to the text and find out what the text is about. The text is about: It is an _________written by Li Qiang who has e-mail taken up a trip to the _________ and his First future ___________ in the future. Impressions 2. Underline words, phrases, or sentences that are closely related to Li Qiang’s first impressions.
Read the text and the put these sentences in a correct order. CADB
A. We were transported into the future by a comfortable time capsule.
B. I arrived at Wang Ping’s home and everything in his house made me surprised. C. I won a travel to the year AD 3005. D. I have my first try to master a hovering carriage.
Ⅰ. Read the text carefully and then answer the
1. Why did Li Qiang go into the future? 2. How did he feel when he left his own time? 3. How did he get to the year 3008? 4. What did he notice first when he arrived in AD 3008? 5. What else did he find that was different?
? ? ? ? ? ?
1. Why did Li Qiang go into the future? Because he had won a prize that gave him a tour. 2. How did he feel when he left his own time? He felt rather anxious when he left his own time but soon got it over. 3. How did he get to the year 3008? He went by time capsule. 4. What did he notice first when he arrived in AD 3008? The first thing he noticed was the poor quality of the air and it gave him a headache.
5. What else did he find that was different? He found several things that were different: ? a mask to give him enough oxygen ? a hovering carriage ? having a “time lag” experience ? a strange-looking house that belonged to Wang Ping’s parents ? trees that acted as walls and provided oxygen for the room ? tables, chairs and a bed that were stored under the floor
? ? ? ? ?
? ? ? ? ?
Ⅱ. Read the passage carefully, write down the main idea for each paragraph in your own words. Then add the important details. Paragraph 1— main idea: How I came to take a time travel journey. Details: ___________________________ my prize; my excitement The journey. Paragraph 2 — main idea: _______________ how I felt; the spaceship; the journey Details: _____________________________________ Paragraph 3 — main idea: ________________________________ My impressions of life one thousand years into the future. ________________________________ Details: ________________________________________________ little oxygen; masks to provide oxygen; hovering ________________________________________________ carriage; how to drive them; a “time lag” moment Staying in Wang Ping’s home. Paragraph 4 — main idea: ____________________________ Details: __________________________________________ appearance of house; trees as walls; where furniture __________________________________________ stored; ate meal; prepared for sleep 12
Ⅲ. To summarize the main idea of the passage in about 30 words.
温馨提示：本文是李强写给他父母的信，写概要 时需要扣住原文的体裁、未来之旅的方式、李强 的所见所闻及其感受等要素。 Li Qiang wrote to his parents about his future Li Qiang wrote to his parents about … journey. He travelled in a time capsule there. Though the surroundings were difficult to tolerate at first, he found the transport and house new and exciting.
1. In pairs, discuss which changes are good or bad and give reasons for your choices. Then write down your ideas in the chart.
Good changes and reasons Time travel Transport Houses Towns Air quality Bad changes and reasons
can travel to different times after-effects(副作用,后效应) as you wish of travel can move swiftly save living space busy; look like markets own family oxygen supply disorganized; difficult to find way short of space easy to get lost poor quality in public places
2. Do you think the writer has an optimistic or a pessimistic view of the future? Give your reasons.
I think the writer has an optimistic view of the future. He was very excited when he traveled to the year AD 3005 and couldn’t believe it was true. From this, we can see he is eager to go to the future. Though he was hit by the lack of fresh air, the problem was immediately solved by putting on a mask. And he tells us the transport in the future is convenient. When he arrived at Wang’s home, he found there were many trees after the wall moved, and these trees provided the house with much-needed oxygen. Finally he described the automatic equipment in Wang Ping’s house. All the above has shown his view of the future.
Read the passage and fill in the blanks. Li Qiang, who couldn’t believe he had traveled to constantly 3008 AD, 1__________ (constant) rubbed his eyes to remind 2_________. He was worried and 3_________ himself unsettled (settle) at first and as a result, he suffered from “time lag”. Wang Ping, his friend and guide helped him a giving lot by 4_________ (give) him some green tablets. into Then Li was transported safely 5______ the future in a time capsule. Confused by the new 6_____________ surroundings (surround), he was hit by the lack of fresh air. After better 7_______ putting on a mask he felt 8________ in no time. Some time later he flew 9_________ (swift) to swiftly where Wang Ping’s home, 10__________ he ate some food, took a hot bath, slide into bed and fell fast asleep.
Try to remember the Aims and Demands on page 24 and finish the exercises on page 25 of Learning Case. Preview the language points of the reading text for the next period.