Unit Two The Olympic Games
Reading: An interview
29th Beijing Olympic Games 2008
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
1. When did the ancient Olympic Games start? A. 1896 B. 1906 C. 776 BC. 2. Where did the ancient Olympic Games start? A. Athens, Greece B. Sydney, Australia C. New York, USA 3. When did the ancient Olympic Games stop？ A．393 BC. B. 393 AD. C. 311 AD. 4. When was the first modern Olympic Games held? A. 1986 B. 1896 C. 1698
5. Where was the first modern Olympic Games held? A. in Athens B. in Sydney C. in New York
? ? ? ?
6. How many kinds of Olympic Games are there? Types: Winter Olympic and Summer Olympic A. 4 B. 3 C. 2
7. How often are the Olympic Games held? A. Every four years B. Every five years C. Every three years
8. What was rewarded to the winners in ancient Olympic Games? A. Metals B. Medals C. Olive wreaths 9.Who was China’s first gold medal winner and for what event? A. LI Ning, gymnastics B. Xu Haifeng, shooting C. Fu Mingxia, diving 10. Which sport is in the Winter Olympic Games? A. Badminton B. Basketball C. Speed skating
? ? ?
Something about the Olympic Games The Five Olympic Rings The Olympic rings
Background color: white Symbol(象征) of peace
Shapes: 5 rings joined together The five rings stand for friendship of five continents.
奥林匹克环，象征五大洲的团 结，全世界的运动员以公正、 坦率的比赛和友好的精神，在 奥运会上相见。
Do you recognize them?
The Olympic Torch
Official Mascots （吉祥物）of the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games
The Olympic Motto:
Do you know what is the motto of Beijing 2008 Olympic Games?
One world, one dream!
New Beijing, Great Olympics
Green Olympics, People’s Olympics and Hi-tech Olympics
Do you like sports? Which sports are you interested?
Having a competition
? Can you speak out the English names of the following sports as quickly as possible?
badminton table tennis
Interviewer: Pausanias, a Greek writer about
2000 years ago
Interviewee: Li Yan, a volunteer for the 2008 Olympic
What is the purpose of his journey to the modern world?
To find out the present –day Olimpic Games
What does the passage tell us?
the ancient Olympic Games the modern Olympic Games good & bad effects of the OG the similarities between them the differences between them
What are the differences and similarities between the ancient and modern Olympics?
Ancient Olympic Games How many kinds 1 (summer Olympics) Modern Olympic Games 2 (Summer &Winter Olympics)
What events running races, horse riding and so on Athletes Host city Prizes only men in Greece no women and slaves cities in Greece olive wreath
over 250 sports, skiing, ice skating and so on
any athletes reaching the standard different cities in the world
four years ? Both are held every Every ____________________.
? Both are held not for money but for _________. honor ? ________are allowed to take part in both Men in ancient and modern Olympics. ? The mottos are the same. They are: Swifter, higher and stronger _________________________________. ? Both have the same events like running races ____________
? Before the interview, what was Pausanias’ attitudes towards the modern Olympic Games? ? When he learned that there were so many changes about the Summer Olympics, what did he feel at that time? ? When he learned that “swifter, higher and stronger” was still present in the modern Olympic Games, what about his feeling? curious upset amazed relaxed
True or false
1. Just Greece could take part in the ancient Olympic Games. 2. Slaves and women used to join in the Olympic Games. 3. The Winter Olympics are usually held two years before the Summer Olympics. 4. There are many events like ice skating and volleyball which need snow and ice in the winter Olympics.
5. The modern Olympic Games is hosted by different countries. 6. Both the Summer and Winter Olympics are held every two years. 7.There are running races in the Winter Olympics. 8. Every athlete can take part in the new Olympics. 9. The Olympics were born in Greece.
Summary of the interview
The Olympic Games are the biggest sports meeting in the world, which include two kinds, the _________and the ________ Summer Winter Olympics. Both of them are ______ held every ____ four years. All countries can take part if their athletes reach the _________ standard for their event. Women are not only _______ allowedto join in but playing a very __________ important role.
A special _______ village is built for the competitors to live in, several stadiums ______ for competitions, a large swimming pool, a __________ gymnasium as well as seats for those who watch the games. It’s a great ______ honor to host the Olympic Games. The olive wreath has been _________ replaced by medals. But it’s still about being able to run ______, jump faster ______ higher and throw _______. further
Read the passage carefully and answer the following questions. 1 What amazes Pausanias about the Olympic Games? 2 Why does he think Athens and Beijing should feel proud? 3 Why does he think people may be competing for money in the modern Olympic Games?
1 What amazes Pausanias about the Olympic Games? Pausanias is amazed that many countries take part in the Olympic Games and women too and there are two sets of Games – the Winter and the Summer Olympics.
2 Why does he think Athens and Beijing should feel proud? Because Li Yan has explained that it is a great honour to host the Olympic Games. 3 Why does he think people may be competing for money in the modern Olympic Games? He thinks that so many things have changed in the Olympic Games that he fears that the spirit of the Olympics may have changed too.
Discuss this question in groups:
Why do many countries want to
host the Olympic Games while
others do not? Use the mind map below to help you.
a great honour tourism
Reasons to host the Olympic Games
new sports facilities
too expensive accidents/ attacks
Reasons not to host the Olympic Games
many stadiums accommodation