Check the homework. Share you sources relevant to cloning technology with the whole class.
Cloning has been the subject of scientific experiments for years. The recent success in cloning animals has resulted in fierce debates between scientists, politicians and public.
First reading— Main idea
Second reading— Understanding scientific terms Reading strategy Further discussion
Third reading— Detailed information
Go through the reading strategy, and find out how to work out the meaning of these scientific terms.
Step 1 Step 2 Begin by reading the first and last paragraphs for an idea of what the article is about. Circle any words you do not now. Question . things you do not understand or that do not appear to make sense
Step Read through the article a few times, and 3 make sense of the scientific terms upon further readings.
First reading—Main idea
Refer to the reading passage and find out the main idea.
(The reading passage is made up of a newspaper article about cloning and two readers’ letters. We will be given information about how cloning is being researched and the different attitudes towards it.)
Second reading— Understanding scientific terms
Ask students to circle the unfamiliar words or things they do not understand while second reading.
Third reading— Detailed information
Read only the article carefully, and finish the following exercises:
1. What are the different attitudes towards the success of cloning a human embryo?
(valuable tissues and organs can be On the one hand__________________________________ produced and be used to save human lives) (human beings may be on the way to On the other hand____________________________ producing a real-life monster) (cloning human embryos Some people consider that____________________ with the intention to destroy them shows no respect for human life. )
2. Who are the persons in the article related to cloning?
persons Ian Wilumt introductions scientist a Scottish ________ who created Dolly, the first mammal to be cloned successfully from_____________ an adult cell relations to cloning some scientists He was shocked _______when hearing___________ ___________________________________. were considering cloning human beings He never intends to____________________. create copies of humans Instead, he thinks the efforts of scientists new cells should be directed towards creating ______________ and organs __________that could be used to_________ cure _________________. diseases like cancer She is desperate to have a baby of her own, that is genetically related to her. a child_____________________________.
Severino Antinori Chinese scientists
a woman of 41 years old who cannot have a baby ________. doctor who an Italian______, is one of the leaders in _______________ the cloning research who have focused their cloning efforts on __________ __________________ animals and stem __________________ to be used in medical cells research _________.
he wants to be the He has declared that___________________ first to clone a human being ________________________. producing clones of China has succeeded in ________________ cows and goats and continues to research ____________, cloning can benefit the ways in which ____________________ mankind ___________.
Read the two letters carefully, and judge whether the statements are true or false:
Pauline Carter thinks:
1. the nature will pay back if we interfere with nature. T 2. we should clone fewer babies to reduce Earth’s population. F 3. the lady who cannot have a baby can adopt an orphan, but not have a cloned baby. T
Coline Jake thinks:
1. the news that the first human embryo has be cloned successfully is very terrible.F 2. scientists have succeeded in challenging questions of morality. F 3. human cloning is a good way to save her daughter who has died. F
Step6 Further discussion
Understanding the scientific terms and reinforcing the comprehension of the text, you are got to form groups of four or six to discuss the further questions:
1. Find the reasons why people are pro- or anti-cloning in the article and letters and write them in the table below
Pro-cloning 1. produce valuable tissues and organs that could be used to save human lives 2. cure disease like cancer Anti-cloning 1. may produce a real-life Frankenshtein’s monster
2. create more disease in the animal world 3. help those who are 3. cloning shows no respect unable to have children for human life 4. help those who want to 4. human life would no clone their dead children longer be unique 5. we should be having fewer babies in order to reduce Earth’s population, not cloning more
2. Do you think it would be easy for the cloned baby to accept his/ her social identity as a ‘cloned’ human being?
3. What would the person that had the original cell feel about the cloned baby?
4. Think about the relationship between the title of the unit Science versus nature and cloning technology.
Think about the difficult scientific terms underlined before upon the text learning
甲醛检测http://www.cma.net.cn 是指通过特定的方法或仪器，对空气、水、食品、衣物、板材、皮革等含有的甲醛做定量 检测。建议按照要求时间进行封闭后检测。首先，甲醛检测方法产品都是基于科学的原理和试验数据验证的，为保证检测结果 的有效性 ，特规定了检测前封闭的合理时间。其次，我们检测甲醛是为了清楚知道室内甲醛真实的浓度情况，如果封闭时间 超过要求时间，检测的结果可能会高于实际污染情况，反而不方便判断。 不应该出去陪各位妇人们聊天的吗？“小琴，你在这里伺候好大，我去看看别的丫鬟的工作去了。”翠大娘说罢，也走开了。 屋里就剩我、大和小琴了。“小琴啊，娘她又要请婶婶她们吃饭了，害得我又要穿成这样，真不舒服。”大抱怨道。“啊，今 天是傅四爷纳妾的第二日，按照规矩，咱们家的女主人们都要来这里聚聚。”小琴解释道，“听说你的第二位四婶婶比你的年 纪还要小耶。”“你作死啊，小琴！这样就是说我已经很老了啊？你活腻了。”大打趣地向小琴骂去，还装着将要伸手去挠小 琴身子的架势。“，别小琴知错了，而且这里还有”小琴欲言又止。对哦，我是个男丁，她们这样不顾礼节的打打闹闹在一个 男人面前是会有失大体，会给人讲闲话的，虽然我是一点都不介意，因为在现代，这些女闺蜜多得是。恰是我一脸不在乎的样 子看着她们俩，反倒让她们俩不好意思继续互相打闹下去了。等她们都停了下来，双眼四目看着我作惊讶状的时候，我才晃过 神来，赶紧把目光移到别处去。“你这家丁真奇怪耶，好像一点都不会拘束。”大带着疑惑的语气说道。“来，坐这。”听了 大的话，我先是看了看小琴，小琴也微笑着示意“可以”，我就大大方方的走到大指定的椅子旁，然后一屁股坐下去了。哎， 真是累死了，其实我一早就想坐下来了，只是一天到晚都要站着搭话啊，站着被训啊。真心受不了。我这么一坐，大就对我投 来更加惊奇的目光了。我双眼无力地迎上大的目光，四眼相对，感觉好微妙哦，真的有一种似曾相识的感觉啊，这画面是不是 真的发生过呢？“怎么我感觉我见过你啊？”还没等我先问，大就问我了。综合刚才她俩的举动，和小琴如此不拘小节和大打 闹的情况来看，这个大应该不是那种封建势力不可靠近的娃，于是我也打趣的回答到，“是啊，我长得这么帅，别人都是问这 句话来和我搭话的。”这句话太雷人了，也亏我能说出来。这时，大和小琴都忍不住笑了出来。啊，好久没听见笑声了。而且 还是由古代的、这么纯洁的、完全没有现代腹黑女的情愫的清纯小女生发出来的笑声，真是天籁之音啊。这么轻松和谐的气氛 我是多久没遇到过了啊！尤其是到了古代之后，每天每日都是疲于奔命，忙于擦鞋拍马屁，而且每次都要让我碰到一些大事件， 说真的我还真不希望我参与进去，知道的越多死得越快。就这样坐着，闭着眼，听着两小女生的笑声，感觉疲惫的身心都得到 了很好的放松。然后，不觉得把上半身俯在了旁边的园石桌上，懒洋洋地道：“好舒服啊，你们的笑声真好听，有治愈我身心 的功效啊。”刚说罢，笑声就戛然而止了。我又突然意识到自己又说了一些她们听不懂的话了。此时，脑里想着快起来坐正坐 好，然后很君子般的给她们解释吧，但是身体不