Book 4 Unit 1 Women of achievement
Can you think of any famous and successful women?
an inventor and a scientist
given the Nobel Prize for Physics in 1903 and Chemistry in 1911.
Madame Curie (1867-1934)
a very famous TV hostess
devotes herself to charity and public service, spoke for the 2008 Olympic Games.
from China. one of the top leaders in Modern Chinese history
Dr Sun Yat-sen's wife
Song Qingling (1893-1981)
Born in Italy and raised in England. she took good care of the wounded soldiers in war The International Nurses Day is celebrated on her birthday.
Florence Nightingale (1820-1910)
from the Great Britain
went to Africa and studied chimpanzees for more than 40 years
called "Mother of Chimps"
Jane Goodall (1934 - )
What do they have in common?
Brainstorm: What qualities should great women have? kind warm-hearted
be active in social activities helpful to other people in society
A strong man saves himself, a great man saves another.
1. Who is the “student”? Jane Goodall 2. What animals did she study？ Chimps 3. Where does she observe the animals？ Gombe National Park in East Africa
Scan the passage briefly and find out the topic sentence of each paragraph.
Match the main idea of each paragraph. Para 1: Jane's achievements Jane’s great efforts in protecting chimps A day in the park studying chimps What Jane discovered about chimps
The first paragraph
A day’s study of chimps in the park
a family of chimps
follow ______ as they wander into the forest then
wake up ________ first
watch the mother chimp feed _____or and her clean each babies _____ _____ play other as a in the tree way of and see them showing love go to sleep ___________ __________
most of the time
The second paragraph
Jane’s discoveries about chimps
1. Why did Jane go to Africa to study chimps in the wild? Because she wanted _____. A A. to work with them in their own environment B. to prove the way people think about chimps was wrong C. to discover what chimps eat D. to observe a chimp family C 2. Jane was permitted to begin her work after _____. A. the chimp family woke up B. she lived in the forest C. her mother came to support her D. she arrived at Gombe
The third paragraph
Jane’s great efforts in protecting chimps True or false
1. She hopes that chimps can be left in the forest instead of in laboratories. for fun or ads.
the rest of the world
2. She argues that people should not use chimps
3. She has been outspoken about making the British
people understand and respect the life of the chimps. F
4. She has help to set up many homes for the chimps to live in.
The fourth paragraph
The achievements of Jane
working with ___________ animals in ___________ their own ___________ environment ___________
gaining a _________ doctor's _________ degree _________
showing that ___________
women can ___________ live in the ___________ forest as ___________ men can ___________
inspires She ________ those who want to cheer the achievements of women.
Structure of the Text
Para 1 Para 2 Para 3
A day in the park observing chimps.
Jane’s discoveries about chimps.
Her great efforts in protecing the chimps.
She has achieved everything she wanted to do.
Will you go if you are asked to study animals in the wild ? Why or why not?
Write a postcard to Dr Jane Goodall and tell her what you think of her.
Dear Jane, ____________________________
____________________________ ____________________________ ____________________________ ____________________________ ____________________________ ____________________________
Only if we understand can we care Only if we care will we help Only if we help shall all the life be hopeful
--- Jane Goodall
1. Surf the Internet to find some information about a Chinese wildlife protector,全莉， and compare her with Jane Goodall.