A: What’s your sister’s personality? B: She’s an energetic person. And she’s also smart. A: What job does she do? B: She’s an accountant. A: Is her personality suitable for the job? B: I don’t think so. She’s impatient and careless sometimes.
并列连词： and: 和，又； but: 但是； or: 或者； so: 因此，所以；
Look at the following sentences.
1. I come from Nanjing, but now I live with my family in Beijing. (七上U1) 2. The classrooms are clean and bright. (七上U3) 3. Sometimes I feel hungry between meals, so I eat an apple or a pear. (七上U6) 4. My cousin Annie’s bicycle is broken, so she’s going to ask someone to fix it. (七下U2)
5. There are many big companies and international banks here. (八下U3) 6. About 285 million people around the world are blind or have eye problems, mostly in poor areas. (八下U7) 7. I’m patient and I don’t get angry easily. (P7)
8. I think I can be a good teacher or a good doctor. (P7) 9. “He’s quiet and doesn’t like to talk much, but his work shouts!” (P8)
10. “I want to share the best art with people, so I’m always searching for something better or different.” (P8)
11. A creative person can produce something new or a work of art. (P10)
A Millie wants to write about her
classmates. Help her join her ideas with and, but, or or so. (P12) 1. Kitty is kind. Sometimes she is impatient. Kitty is kind, but sometimes she is impatient. 2. Billy would not accept others’ advice. Billy would not think twice. Billy would not accept others’ advice or think twice.
3. Judy is gentle. Judy never gets angry with others. Judy is gentle, and she never gets angry with others. 4. Suzy worries too much. She cannot sleep well sometimes. Suzy worries too much, so she cannot sleep well sometimes.
Word & phrases review adj. 不耐烦的， 急躁的 impatient think twice (about sth) 三思而行
1. Both Amy and Daniel wear blue jeans. (七上U8) 2. Now the living room has not only blue walls but also a blue ceiling and floor. (八上U4) 3. Neither my parents nor I think I can make a good accountant. (P7)
4. Life is like a race. You either take the lead or fall behind. (P8) 5. “Carelessness will be a disaster not only to ourselves but also to patients.” (P9)
both…and, not only…but (also), either…or, neither…nor
Word & phrases review
both ... and ...、not only ... but (also) ...、 either ... or ... 和neither ... nor ...都是常见 的并列连词，它们可以连接两个并列的主 语、谓语、宾语、表语、状语等。 both ... and ... “......和......两者都；既...... 又......”。 I did all this both for you and for myself. Both Li Ping and Wu Fang are League members.
not only ... but (also) ...意思是“不但......而 且......；不仅......还有......”，其中also可以省 略。 We must not only understand the text but also learn it by heart. 注意：当not only ... but (also) ...连接两个 名词作主语时，其谓语动词应与最近的一 个主语在人称和数上保持一致，这就是我 们通常说的“就近原则”。 Not only the students but (also) Mr Li has lunch at school.
either ... or ...意思是“要么......要么......； 或者......或者......；不是......就是......”，用 于连接两个表示选择关系的词。 You may sit either this end or that end of the boat. 注意：当either ... or ...连接两个主语时， 应遵循“就近原则”。 Either you or I am going there tomorrow.
neither ... nor ...意思是“既不......也 不......”，具有否定含义。
Neither Leo nor Cindy got the highest score. It was Daisy. 注意：当neither ... nor ...连接两个主语 时，也应遵循“就近原则”。 Neither Dad nor Mum is at home today.
Amy is writing about what her family does B1 at the weekend. Help her complete the sentences with the correct conjunctions. (P14) nor my mum 1. Neither ______ my dad ___ goes to work at the weekend. We visit my grandparents on Saturdays. 2. ____ Both my mum ____ and my grandma are good at cooking. They cook lunch for us.
Either/Not only my mum ___________ or/but (also) 3. ______________ my dad does the dishes after lunch. I also help with it.
do the dishes
4. In the afternoon, my grandpa and my either/not only play chess dad ______________ or/but (also) chat with each other. ___________ not only/either helps clean 5. My mum ______________ the rooms for my grandparents but (also)/or does some shopping for ___________ them.
I. 单项选择。 1. — I hear ______ your grandpa ______ your grandma like watching Beijing Opera. — Right, just as many old people do in our city. (2012 呼和浩特) A. both; and B. either; or C. neither; nor D. not only; but also
2. — Did you have a good time at the party? — Yes. We sang ______ danced until late at night. (2012山东济南) A. but B. if C. and D. so 3. ______ my father ______ my mother is able to drive a car. However, they are going to buy one. (2012四川宜宾) A. Neither; nor B. Both; and C. Either; or D. Not only; but also
4. A snake bit him ______ he went to see a doctor at once. (2012天津) A. if B. where C. because D. so 5. Tony is only four years old, ______ he draws very well. (2012浙江衢州) A. but B. so C. or D. and
6. "You can't have them all. You can choose ______ the kite ______ the toy car," said the mother. (2012四川自贡) A. either; or B. not only; but also C. both; and 7. — Anna, you wear a new dress today! — It fits me well, ______ the colour is not my favourite. (2013淄博) A. and B. so C. but D. or
8. — Which do you prefer, tea ______ coffee? — Tea, please. (2013北京) A. but B. so C. or D. and 9. — Would you like to come to my party on Saturday, Sam? — I’d love to, ______ I can’t. I have to take a piano lesson. (2013厦门) A. and B. but C. or
10. I thought the actor was famous, _____ none of my friends has ever heard of him. (2013盐城) A. and B. or C. so D. but 11. — Mike, please turn down the music, _____ Lucy _____ Lily are sleeping. — Sorry, I’ll do it right away. (2013黔西南) A. neither; nor B. either; or C. both; and D. not only; but also
12. Let’s go to Kunming for vacation. It’s ______ too hot ______ too cold. (2013宜宾) A. either; or B. neither; nor C. both; and D. not only; but also 13. — I don’t like singing ______ dancing. What about you? — I don’t like dancing, ______ I like singing. (2013天水) A. and; and B. and; but C. or; but D. or; and
14. Smile to the world, ______ the world will smile back to you. (2013安徽) A. nor B. but C. or D. and 15. — How do you like the two pairs of trousers? — They don’t fit me well. They are ______ too long ______ too short. (2013威海) A. not only; but also B. both; and C. neither; nor D. either; or
II. 根据句意选择适当的连词完成句子。 but he still 1. The man was so tired, ____ went on working. 2. － Tell us something about Canada, OK? Neither Jack ____ nor I have － I’m sorry. _______ ever been there. 3. — What do you think of this skirt? so — It’s beautiful and it fits we well, ___ I like it very much.
4. I bought my son a birthday present, and he liked it very much. ____ but he isn’t 5. He has a lot of money, ____ happy. 6. Stop smoking, ____ and you will get better soon. 7. --- _______ Neither Mary ____ nor Alice has joined the music club because they have no time. --- It’s a pity !
8. Mr. Smith comes from Australia, ___ but he has worked in China for 5 years. ___ So you can talk with him ______ either in English ___ or in Chinese. 9. — What do you like doing after class? — I like not only reading ________ but also painting. 10. Sam is a waiter, ____ but he really wants to be a singer.
III. 阅读下面的短文，在空白处填入适当 连词。 I arrived in London at last. The railway and dark. I did station was big, black _____ so I not know the way to my hotel, _____ not only asked a porter (搬运工). I _________ but very spoke English very carefully, ____ clearly as well. The porter, however, could not understand me. I repeated my and at last he question several times ____ understood. He answered me,
but ___ he spoke _______ neither slowly ____ nor clearly. 'I am a foreigner,' I said. Then he spoke slowly, ___ but I could not understand him. My teacher never spoke English like that! The porter ____ and I looked at each other and smiled. Then he said something ____ and I understood it. 'You'll soon learn English!' he said. I wonder. In England, each person speaks a different language. The English understand each other, ____ but I don't understand them! Do they speak English?
1. Review the Grammar. 2. Finish Part B2 on Page 14.
3. To preview Integrated skills on Pages 15 and 16.
Fill in the blanks.
1. I come from Nanjing, but ___ now I live with my family in Beijing. and bright. 2. The classrooms are clean ____ 3. Sometimes I feel hungry between meals, so I eat an apple or a pear. ___ Both Amy ____ and Daniel wear blue jeans. 4. _____ 5. My cousin Annie’s bicycle is broken, ___ so she’s going to ask someone to fix it. not only blue 6. Now the living room has ________ but also a blue ceiling and floor. walls ________
and 7. There are many big companies _____ international banks here. 8. About 285 million people around the world are blind ____ or have eye problems, mostly in poor areas.
12. I’m patient ____ and I don’t get angry easily. 13. I think I can be a good teacher __ or a good doctor. 14. _______ Neither my parents ____ nor I think I can make a good accountant. and doesn’t like to talk 15. “He’s quiet ____ much, ____ but his work shouts!” 16. “I want to share the best art with people, so I’m always searching for something ___ better or different.” 17. You ______ either take the lead ___ or fall behind. not only 18. “Carelessness will be a disaster _______ to ourselves ________ but also to patients.”
1. Ben was busy taking a training class, ______ we had to wait for him for half an hour. A. so B. if C. or D. but 2. You can choose to watch TV at home ______ go shopping with me. A. and B. but C. so D. or
3. We just need one of you for the game. ______ you ______ your brother can join us. A. Both; and B. Neither; nor C. Either; or D. Not only; but also 4. ______ my father ______ my mother take good care of me. I love them so much. A. Either; or B. Both; and C. Neither; nor
to test your sense of observation to test your ability of short-term memory to test your ability to highlight the language points
并列连词and意思是“和，又”，表达并 列关系。 He saw you and I. 并列连词but意思是“但是”，表达转折 关系，所连接的成分意思往往相反或相 对。 The runner fell down, but he quickly got up and went on running.
并列连词or意思是“或者”，表达选择关 系。 "Tea or milk?" Jack asked. 注意：在否定句中并列成分通常用or连接， 而不用and。 I cannot speak German or Japanese. 并列连词so意思是“因此，所以”，表达 因果关系，常用来连接两个简单句。 He hit me, so I struck (打) him back. 注意：并列连词so和从属连词because不能 一起使用。